Department of Physics
The Department, one of the oldest in the Central College, has been in existence from 1882. It was in what is now called as the Raman Hall in the Central College where C.V Raman gave the first detailed exposition of the Raman Effect on the 16 th March 1928. In later years research initiatives in Nuclear Physics were boosted by the efforts of N.G Puttaswamy through UGC and CSIR grants. In 1989, the Department was shifted to Jnana Bharathi Campus. As on today, the Department has active teaching and research programmes with a faculty strength of 13. ISRO has instituted the Sir M. Visveswaraya Chair in the Department and actively supports research and pedagogy in Atmospheric and Space Science. Research activities of the Department include X-ray Crystallography, NMR / ESR / NQR of solids, Astrophysics research in stellar structure and active galactic nuclei, Glass science, Nuclear and Radiation Physics, Nanophosphor materials, Radiation damage studies in semiconductors, Swift heavy ion interaction with matter, Thin films, Mössbauer spectroscopy of certain magnetic materials, Soft and Biological matter, Ion trap spectroscopy and research in Physics education The faculty has collaborations with national research institutions like IISc, ISRO, RRI, IIA, BARC, IUCAA, IGCAR, UGC-DAE- CSR, apart from international collaborations with individual faculty. The faculty research is also supported through individual projects from UGC, DAE-BRNS, ISRO and DST. The Department has recently been awarded funding under DST-FIST (Phase-1).